Welcome to our weekly review of major happenings in the digital space. Here are a few significant updates that might interest you;
- Google Ads Insights Page Updated With 4 New Features
Google Ads is introducing 4 new features to the Insight Page in the coming weeks. This is to help businesses drive more sales through accessing more data on the Insights page this holiday season. According to the data by Google, 53% of consumers plan to shop online more this year compared to last year. The new features will provide users with the information they need to keep up with consumer trends and optimize campaigns to get ads in front of shoppers. The 4 new features in Google Ads Insights Page are:
- Demand Forecasts: Predicts six months of search trends with forward-looking insights that combine machine learning technology with past seasonal search data. Insights are personalized.
- Consumer Interest Insights: Collects the top-performing search query themes that drive performance in campaigns. Includes the number of people who searched for each theme, its growth, and how it performed.
- Audience Insights: Learn the interests and affinities of customers, such as what creative resonates with them.
- Change History Insights & Auction Insights: Find both change history insights and auction insights spread throughout the Insights page.
The following features are rolling out in beta to all advertisers worldwide. For more information, click here.
- Google Launches New Local Search Features
Google is launching new features for local search and new tools to assist journalists with producing relevant stories. According to a report by Google, searches for “news near me” have tripled over the past five years, reaching its peak in May 2020. To cater to this demand, Google is adding these features to search results to help people find locally relevant stories. The new features for local news in google search:
- Local News Carousel: Google will display a carousel dedicated to local news stories that are relevant to a user’s query.
- Top Stories Carousel: Authoritative local news sources will appear more often in the Top Stories carousel, which is typically reserved for stories from national publications.
- Deeper Understanding Of Topics: Google is refining its ability to connect broad topics with local stories.
- Local Tweets: Searchers for local news may now surface tweets by local, authoritative publications and journalists.
In addition to helping searchers, Google is introducing new tools to help journalists by providing them with locally relevant data. For more information, click here.
- Clubhouse Adds Live Captions to Maximize Accessibility
Clubhouse has just announced that closed captions will now be available on Clubhouse chats, starting on iOS. This new live captions option will enable users to follow along in text format, improving accessibility with people to use the ‘sound off’ option if they wish. It also helps to clarify context and meaning, with the added benefit of having the written text available to support the audio as you listen. Clubhouse captions are only available in English and only on iOS, but an additional 12 languages are reportedly in beta testing. For more information, click here.
- Instagram Adds Option to Delete Individual Posts from Carousels, Shake to Report Feature
Instagram is introducing a new addition to the features on the platform. This feature has been a much-requested option and it is finally here. It is the ability to delete individual posts from within a previously uploaded carousel. Now, after a user has uploaded a carousel of images and/or videos, they will be able to delete specific posts from that series. The new option will provide users more capacity to manage their Instagram posts while ensuring that they don’t need to delete and re-upload a carousel set when they notice an error or issue with a frame. Instagram has also added a new ‘rage shake’ feature, which will see a new issue report prompt activated when a user shakes their phone. The option to delete a single post from a carousel is now available on iOS and the Android version is coming soon. For more information, click here.
- Pinterest Launches New Team to Accelerate Product and Feature Development
Pinterest has just announced the launch of “TwoTwenty” a dedicated team of engineers, designers, content and product experts that will focus on testing and launching new ideas for their platform. This dedicated project group will focus on testing new in-app tools and functions. As explained by Pinterest, the TwoTwenty team will be able to test and push out new projects faster, providing Pinterest with an ongoing Makeathon team that will continue to iterate and experiment based on the latest trends and ideas. The TwoTwenty’s team first exploration was with live-streamed creator events, that was developed based on creator and Pinner feedback. That eventually became Pinterest TV, and it was officially announced earlier this month. For more information, click here.
Thank you for reading. See you next Friday for more news and interesting reads in the digital space.